Wednesday April 15th
2670 Cassel Creek Blvd,
Casselberry, FL 32707
Please see our Facebook event here: Orlando Roller Derby – Spring 2015 Recruitment
The information orientation is an information only meet. You will NOT need any gear or skates during these sessions. The orientation is for Skaters, Referees, and Volunteers. If you are interested in joining us make sure to come out. Youmust attend one of the three information session dates in order to participate with Orlando Psycho City Derby Girls Luna (Fresh Meat Luna) practice.
In addition to our official orientations, new and prospective skaters and officials may visit us during regularly scheduled Luna practices. These currently take place at Barber Park, 3701 Gatlin Ave, Orlando, FL 32812
For your first practice, you will need:
- To be 18 or older. (Skaters and Referees; under 18 can volunteer with parental/guardian consent)
- Luna Package, Print, Complete, and Sign. Download Here (Skaters and Referees)
- Your own quad skates.
- A mouth guard. A cheap starter mouth guard from any sporting goods store will do. (Skaters and Referees)
- Your own health insurance. Not required, but strongly suggested. The league does not cover injuries that you sustain as a result of playing roller derby. (Skaters and Referees)
- The desire to be involved with an awesome sport and have a great time with new friends!
- The ability to skate. It is helpful for you if you know how to skate forward and stop but we will teach you everything from the ground up, if you need it.
- A knowledge of the sport and the rules. Again, we will teach you everything.
- Your own pads and helmet. We have loaner elbow pads, knee pads, wrist guards, and helmets that you may use from the stink bin. But be warned, they smell a little funky, so eventually you will want to get your own gear! We also have a very limited amount of gear so first come first serve. If you are not properly geared you will not be allowed to practice.
NON SKATING OFFICIALS, VOLUNTEERS, AND EMTS
We love our NSOs, Volunteers, and EMTs! If you are interested in becoming a part of an awesome group of ladies, but don’t want to strap on skates, we have many great ways for you to be a part of our league. Contact email@example.com to learn more.
A LITTLE NOTE ABOUT DERBY
If you are considering wanting to become a derby skater, please understand that we do not take our commitment lightly. This league is for the skaters, by the skaters. We have training requirements that all skaters adhere to. We abide by a code of conduct as this is a full contact sport and what happens on the track, stays on the track. IT’S NOT PERSONAL! It’s Derby. Yes, playing the sport is fun, but just like in any full contact sport, injuries occur! You will need to acquire your own quad skates, high quality knee pads, elbow pads, and wrist guards, helmet and a mouth guard. You are encouraged to sustain your own medical insurance during recruitment. Once you have been through recruitment you will be required to purchase WFTDA insurance.
We hope to see you soon!
If you have any questions before the information session please contact firstname.lastname@example.org